Friday, July 27, 2012

a proud moment

Today Harper was playing with one of our favorite of her friends.  They were playing Barbies and her friend suggested pretending that one of them had a dad that had died.  This was to solve the problem of a large number of female Barbies and a shortage of Kens.  It was said innocently.  Harper said, "I don't want to play that way because it makes me sad because my daddy did die."  This sweet friend then felt bad, and cried, and the girls worked it out and moved on.  I was so so proud of Harper in this moment.  She is five years old.  She was able to handle a tough moment where someone forgot her situation, and say something about it to resolve it.  She was able to experience a true friend responding with remorse and love.  They got to sort it out and keep going.  I want my relationships to be that way.  I am so thankful for a daughter like this sweet girl.  She is modeling such healthy friendships.


I started seeing a new counselor last week.  She had me describe Harper.  I was telling her a few things that I think define my girl.  Then this counselor said, "She sounds like a total bad ass."  I can't tell you how I ate those words up.  She is right.  My five year old is a total bad ass.  


There is this quote on Pinterest I see a lot.  It says "and though she be but little, she is fierce."  It's attributed to Shakespeare, but it's the internet - so who knows.  I think it is the perfect summation of my daughter.  It makes me smile, and it makes me proud.  I want to be just like her.





9 comments:

annieglan said...

For her to handle a tough situation is 100% because of your amazing parenting. You are just as tough.

Jessica Blake said...

You and Harper are perfect for each other. MFEO (made for each other).

Jess said...

Harper is the way she is because you are the way you are! What a healthy interaction she had! Good for her and her friend!

P.S. I want to see any counselor that calls it like it is and uses terms like "bad ass"!

Danielle @ Living Out Loud said...

I "ditto" everyone's comments, Molly. Give yourself the much deserved credit you deserve! And Matt too. She is the "bad ass" she is because of the love and example you and Matt have poured into her! You are pretty "bad ass" yourself :)

LA said...

That little girl is a bad Ass...but then again by the looks of things so is her mama.

Elle's mommy said...

Found your blog somehow and can't stop reading...I have no words as I am sure most people don't when looking at you. I am praying to the God who holds all the answers, that he would soothe your heart and give you the peace that you and your Harper so desperately need. I am so so sorry for the ache of loss that you feel every day...my fervent prayers are with you and your beautiful daughter.

Elle's mommy

Unknown said...

You and Harper are both TOTAL bad asses!! And yes, your new counselor ROCKS! :0)

Unknown said...

I read this long ago but wasn't able to comment.

I'm not sure that I've ever heard of a little girl quite as articulate, caring and protective of her family unit as Harper. I love it. I love that about her. I don't know her "in real life", but I love that she is going to grow up to be a woman with a story to tell...and that she is going to be used by God as a big old healer of hurts for so many people. My prayer for her is that she continues to live life with a soft heart and that the Great Physician binds up HER broken heart as only He can. I love that from the very eginning Harper's story has been one of redemption.

I am tearing up.

this sounds cheezy and trite but i don't know how else to articulate what i am trying to say, so i'm leaving it up.

Anonymous said...

Molly... my husband and I have been following you and Matt and your story for over a couple years now. I'm not sure exactly how we stumbled upon your journey with sweet Waverly, but I think you are friends of friends, as we both went to K-State as well.

You came to my mind often in prayer after we heard the news about Matt. I wasn't sure if you were going to continue blogging, but I came across your blog again today and was surprised to see that you have written much!!
Anyways, just wanted to say that I admire you greatly for not giving up, for continuing to fight, for being so honest and transparent. I don't know what the Lord has in store for you and Harper, but as so many others have already commented... you both are pretty "bad ass" gals and few others could stake claim to the depth of waters that God has taken you through. You are stronger because of it, no doubt.

Many blessings to you and Harper. Know that we continually lift you up in our prayers.